How to go to Tibet from China? This is the most prominent question many Travelers has while planing in visiting Tibet. I hope post of mine would help travelers to make an informed decision in planning your Tibet tour ahead.
How to go to Tibet from China?
There are two popular travel routes for getting into Tibet; Entering Tibet from Nepal and travel to Tibet from China.
Out of these two routes, here are the reasons, why it is easier and less time-consuming in Travel to Tibet from China.
- It is more economical and straight forward in this travel route.
- From China, there are trains available to Lhasa from all the major cities.
- You can easily get into Tibet without any additions paperwork in China.
- You can take a transit flight to Tibet, without wasting a single day in China.
- It is easier for your travel agency in Lhasa to make Tibet travel permit.
Here are the details of why it is easier and more convenient in travel to Tibet from China
It’s more economical and straight forward
You do not necessarily need to stop for a day in China. In the case of Nepal, you will need to at least stay for three days to get Chinese Visa in Nepal. Remember this, if you are entering into Tibet from Nepal. Travelers must get a group visa from the Chinese embassy in Nepal. Your visa, if you may have, it would be revoked. In order to get the Chinese visa, you will need another three days in Nepal.
There is only two travel option from Nepal to Lhasa in general. but at the time of writing, there is only one option that is a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, which is very expensive. whereas from China you have more travel options to Lhasa, Tibet.
From China, there is a train available to Lhasa from all the major cities
There are trains available to Lhasa from all the major cities in China. The train journey from Xining and Chengdu would cost about 120 USD per person. Train rides can take you to all the beautiful wildness of Tibet high land.
If you are traveling on a train to Tibet. this could also save you from the nightmare of last-minute rust in permit delivery. You only need a copy of the permit to show at the train station. you do not need the original permit. it can help save you some money in the process.
You can easily get into Tibet without any additional paperwork in China
After your travel agency completes making your Tibet travel permit. If you are traveling into Tibet from China, there is an additional paper. whereas if you are coming from Nepal, you will need to get a Chinese group visa.
The only thing you will need to do is to fill a form for the train journey.
You can a transit flight to Tibet, without wasting a single day in China
Traveling from China can help traveler lots of time. travelers need not necessarily have to get out of the Airport premise. Your travel agency can help to send someone to deliver your permit to you at the air while you wait to board into Tibet flight. but it comes with an extra service charge for the delivery person.
I do always recommend my clients to take transit in Chengdu, as the city has a large Tibetan Community and it is always easier to be able to find someone help deliver the permit. But most of the time the branch manager would have someone in the office to deliver.
It is easier for your travel agency to make your Tibet travel permit
Your travel agency does not necessarily need to send you a visa invitation if you are coming from China. Making a visa invitation, itself takes equal numbers of days as it takes to make a Tibet entrance permit. and it a double work for us and even more confusing for the travelers.
Every tour operators and travel agency in Lhasa, always recommend traveler not to mention travelers plan to visit Tibet. If travelers can get the visa without having to prove anything about the China Visit, it saves lots of days and works.
But some times authorities in the Chinese embassy would ask the traveler to submit the Details tour itineraries, flight, and other tickets, or hotel reservation in China to prove travelers plan in China.
In such a case, you will need to tell about your plans to visit Tibet. and if you do. They ask you to get a visa invitation from the travel agency in Lhasa. There are many travel website telling as if like Tibet travel agency could not make a visa invitation. That’s an outdated information. The travel agency can send travelers a visa in invitations everywhere in the world, but the travel agency has to have your passport copy and itinerary to make visa invitations. Please remember this, Visa invitation for Tibet has to be signed and approve by the Tibet tourism bureau. and it takes about 15 to 20 days.
Points to remember in travel to Tibet from China
If coming by flight
- You will need an original Tibet travel permit to board the flight to Lhasa and Tibet permits are not supposed to send anywhere outside the domestic jurisdiction of China. Which means your travel agency will have someone to deliver the permit to you at the transit airport.
- I would suggest everyone to try to take transit in Chengdu. it’s more convenient for you and for your travel agency.
- Please try to send the visa and passport copy a month ahead of your actual tour date. your agency needs a window period of three to five days to ship your permit to the city of transit and arrange someone to deliver your permit to you.
- Once upon receiving your permit. Please check for the name and passport number of every group member. some times people do makes mistake in delivering the permit to the right person. which could lead to havoc.
If coming by train
- Please check if your arriving city has a train available to Tibet
- Ask your travel agency to book for your train ticket for some months in advance. it is very hard to get a train in peak season. Hence you will need to book the tour at least two months prior or so.
- You do not need the original permit, but you will need to have a copy of permit handy.
- The travel agency will send you a ticket purchase number and you will have to go to the ticket counter at the train station to get your train ticket with you to permit copy and the passport. Some times, some officers might ask you to show them the original Tibet travel permit. In such case, just go to the next counter to get the ticket. Those officers could be new.
click here to read about the train to Tibet
Over all things to Consider in travel to Tibet from china.
- Gmail doesn’t work in China, have an addition mail account to able your travel agency to send the permit in Last minute. So we would recommend using either Hotmail or yahoo.
- If possible try to have we chat install on your phone. WeChat is a Chinese version of whats app and its very handy. Whats app also works in China. But only on internet Connection on your mobile, not the Wifi.
- Have the contact number of your tour operator handy.
- Always check the second page of your permit for the names and passport number upon receiving it.
In order to understand why to travel to Tibet from China is better. We think it would be nice if i would write some thing about travel to Tibet from Nepal.
- You will need to get Chinese group Visa for Entering into Tibet from Nepal.
- Your Chinese visa, which you might have would be revoked.
- You need to wait for another three to five business days to get the Chinese visa
- Travel agency in Tibet will have to send you visa invitation to Nepal
- Only travel options are available in flight and the overland journey. both could cost way more money the train
Here are some other interesting post, you might like to read.
- How to go travel to Tibet from China
- How to go to Tibet from Nepal
- Tibet Travel, The reality, and expectations.
- Top 100 Basic Tibetan Phrases to know in Tibet
- Frequently asked question about Tibet tourism answered
- How to apply Tibet Travel permit (Tibet Visa)
- Tibet travel guide
Please go back to our Main page to find all the tours itineraries in Tibet
- Tibetan travel agency in Tibet (Home Page)
- Tibet travel
- About Tibet
- About Tibet travel Company (About Us)
- Tibet tour